Tuesday, March 9, 2010

homemade almond 'milk'

Mmmm, homemade almond milk! This recipe can be made with any kind of nuts, but almond is my favorite. I've made this recipe with sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, cashews, and sometimes a blend. My husbands favorite is sunflower seed milk. It's really easy and taste so good! Also very nutritious to add to smoothies and recipes!!!
*
You need:
1c almond or other nuts/seeds
3-4c water
vanilla extract (optional)
agave, honey, or other sweetener (optional)

First, rinse & soak 1c of nuts for 4-12 hours.
I usually soak overnight. If you soak for longer then 12 hours make sure to rinse and add fresh water. Sunflower seeds only need to be soaked for 2-4 hours


Rinse with fresh water. Put almonds with 2c of water in blender. Blend for a minute or so and add 1-2 more cups of water (so about 4c total) and blend more. Add a tsp of vanilla extract and sweeten to taste.
I usually sweeten with agave, honey, or fresh dates.


Strain through multi-layered cheesecloth or a cloth bag.


Yummy, delicious almond milk should be good for 3 days in the fridge.
and yes, I do drink it in a wine glass, I like fresh juice in a wine glass too, it makes it feel 'fancy' hehe!


I have been eating mainly raw foods for the past week, lots of fresh veggie juice, and the cooked food I do eat is mainly whole cooked grains (quinoa, rice, oats), steamed veggies, and eggs. I feel good eating this way, I have a lot more energy, but I spent over my grocery budget this week so I need to find some kind of balance to make this do-able!! Either way, I really love this almond milk!


3 comments:

Linda said...

Thank you so much for sharing this Erin! It looks divine:)
Warmly
Linda

gardenmama said...

what a wonderful post, i look forward to trying this recipe!

Elizabeth said...

oo that looks SO good! Is it as good as the kind from the grocery store (Blue diamond) or health food store? I have been looking for a good recipe like this - my chiropractor is ALL into raw foods and got me to switch from soy to almond milk over a year ago. (SO glad I did!)
I'm new to your blog, btw.. Love it!