Sunday, October 25, 2009

garden (neglect)

Since our lovely rain storm, sprouts are popping up all over! I managed to sneak out into the garden briefly before the storm to start some cover crops on a couple beds and seed some lettuce, chard, and kohlrabi. We also seeded the dry dirt patches in front of our house with grass seed. I'm hoping to get out there this week to change a few beds around (we have some temporary brick lined beds), start some more cover crops, plant our garlic and onion sets and transplant our strawberries that apparently prefer pots. I'll also be begging our tomato faeries to help ripen the many green Roma tomatoes hanging plump on the vine!!
*
On a side note, persimmons are producing in abundance this year, I picked several to see if they are really ready. Tried a sweet but still tannic persimmon today! wow...
*
scarlet runner beans

spouts poppin' in everywhere!

mint is crazy


hidden mushroom


gourds that I started a bit late

'soil builder' cover crop started in two beds


chard spouts:)


Neglected garden that needs some love and attention asap!


These flowers have been blooming FOREVER, I swear, for like months now! I love zinnias!


grass sprouts in our dirt path


5 comments:

Marina said...

Gorgeous! A real working garden...sigh it's something I only dream of :)

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog... you are the winner of the giveaway! When you get a chance, please email me your mailing address so I can mail you the stainless steel lunchbox! pablohoneysf at gmail dot com

Warmest Regards,
Marina

Gae said...

This is really a very lovely garden in my opiinion.
How great to have gouds growing I have wanted to grow these for years. I even have the seeds. next year maybe.
Blessings

Unknown said...

I LOVE the wildness. It looks good to me! lol

renee ~ heirloom seasons said...

I think your neglected garden is beautiful! Better than a garden covered in snow like I have :)

Miri said...

what a lovely garden!!
everything is so full of colour & life!