Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Persimmon Love-

Everest enjoying a ripe persimmon...
*
We have two persimmon trees, and they are producing a lot this year! They are the type that you can not eat until they are squish and super sweet. The boys LOVE them and will eat as many as I'll let them.
*
When I pass the bright orange fruit sitting in my kitchen they always make me think of that scene in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory when the kids go into the room full of trees that grow candy, they look that good! And they are almost as sweet!!!
*



So far I have made Persimmon Pie which turned out ok, and persimmon bread which turned out quite good. I think the next batch of ripe fruit is going into the dehydrator. The nice things about persimmons is that you can pick a bunch and leave the rest to pick later. They don't seem to ripen on the tree, and take several days inside to get nice and squishy. We have lovely persimmons from October to January:)
*blessings*

1 comment:

Marina said...

Oh how absolutely lovely! I used to hate persimmons as a child because I always thought they were so much work to eat... but now my children LOVE them and while they are still a lot of work, but I don't mind so much ;}