Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Autumn Equinox

Just a reminder....Autumn Equinox (aka the first day of fall) is on Tuesday September 22. It is a day worth honoring in my eyes. Autumn is my favorite time of year!! The end of summer is such a time of abundance! We've had such a hot summer, I am looking forward to cooler weather! Although by the end of the winter I am so over the wood burning stove (our only source of heat!), I always look forward to using it again in the fall. The Autumn Equinox was traditionally celebrated similar to modern day Thanksgiving. A time for feasting on the abundant harvest, gratitude, thankfulness, and finding balance.

Creating small traditions to honor the change of a season can be especially fun and meaningful if you have small children!


A few simple ideas to mark the first day of autumn-

-write a list of what your most thankful for & share it with a loved one

-put up/make fall time decorations

-have a fall feast, bake apple or pumpkin pie

-visit an apple farm


I use to always forget to honor important days like this. I'd always remember a day too late and think, next year we should....blahblahblah. I want my children to understand how important the cycle of nature is, live in rhythm with it, and honor it. It helps being a gardener, you can't ignore those cycles:)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree. Even if it's raking a pile of leaves to jump in or taking a moment to smell the moisture in the morning air, fall beckons to be honored.