Saturday, September 12, 2009

Yummy Bread

Whole Wheat Bread

This is one of my favorite bread recipes! It always seems to turn out perfect! I usually use half white flour and half wheat flour, it also has 2 cups of oats in it that seem to disappear when baked! I have made it with all white and all wheat flour and it turns our great either way! I use my bread machine to prep the dough and bake it in my regular oven. I have included directions to make in bread over and by hand.

Yummy Wheat Bread-
1/2c water
1-1/2c milk (cow, unsweetened soy or almond)
2c rolled oats
3Tbs honey (or other sweetener)
2Tbs oil
1tsp salt
2c white flour
2c wheat flour
2tsp instant yeast (bread machine)
-or-
2Tbs active dry yeast (if prepping by hand)

Bread Machine Directions-
If making in a bread machine, add ingredients according to directions from manufacture. If it's like mine you add liquid, oil, salt, sweetener, last you add flour and yeast on top. I use the dough setting. It takes about 1 1/2 hours. I remove from bread machine and punch down and form dough into desired shape on a lightly floured surface. (If the dough is sticky kneed a little flour in)Place on a lightly oiled baking sheet or oiled bread pan. Let it rise for 10 minutes and bake for about 35 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Yum!!

To make by hand-
Heat 1/2c water to 105-115 degrees
In a small bowl min yeast and water, it should 'wake up' the yeast in within 5 min or so and start to get bubbly. Scald the milk and mix with oats. Add oil, honey, & salt.
Cool until lukewarm and add half the flour and yeast mixture. Beat with a wooden spoon. Add the rest of the flour and turn onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastics (10m or so). Let it rise in a warm place until it doubles. Punch down dough and let it rest for 10 min or so. Form into desired shape and place on lightly oiled baking sheet, Cover and let it rise another 40 min or so, until doubled. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 min.

The bread is done when your house is filled with the delicious smell of homemade bread and the bottom of the crust sounds hollow when tapped.

I do love to make bread by hand. I am hoping when the boys are a little older we can make it together. At the moment I am grateful for the bread machine. It makes it more practical for me to make all of our bread:)

No comments: