Saturday, September 26, 2009

marking moments


Do you ever try to mark moments in your memory? You know how it is said that your life flashes before your eyes before you die? Sometime I find a moment in time that I really want to remember, so I try to absorb it thoroughly. I make note in my head of every detail and try to be in the moment. I hope that these are the moments I see when my time comes.

One of my most memorable and recent moments I tried to absorb with every ounce of my soul, came the night Everest was born. The midwives had left, everyone else was asleep, everything was calm. I was achy, exhilarated, and exhausted. I crawled into bed, and it happened then.

Our bedroom was perfectly cool, the covers light and fluffy, the bed was the most comfortable it has ever felt. I sunk down into the soft, cool mattress. It felt as good as a full body massage to just lay in the perfect, cool, softness. It felt like every tense muscle exhaled. I have never been more comfortable in my whole life. Next to me, asleep, was my husband, my 3 1/2 year old son and my newborn baby on the day of his birth. Perfect silence, except for the long, slow sound of my three loves breathing. Their breaths where on a slightly different pattern, so I could hear each of them individually. It was the most beautiful sound I have ever heard. It paired perfectly with the cool comfort of the room. The word that kept floating through my head was 'absorb', it surfaced over and over again as I tried to take in every detail, in the dark, in the perfect coolness, in absolute comfort, in a chorus of perfect rhythmic breath, in deep, deep gratitude for the moment. I think it was the most perfect moment of my life and I hope I never forget it.
Do you ever mark moments? Absorb every sensation of it and live 100% conscious in that very second? It really is a beautiful thing:)
Thanks for reading, I just wanted to share, that moment has been on my mind a lot lately.

No comments: